"I want adventures in the great wide somewhere" Beauty and the Beast

Wednesday 21 January 2015

wicked wednesday


21/1/15

Scenic picture of the day, the front of the Chalet


This morning I was the one on breakfast, which meant I had to be up and in the kitchen by 7:30 with breakfast ready by 8 am.  It was easy enough as we only have four guests! Also because we only had four guests, there wasn't many dishes and I was finished cleaning up in time for morning meeting at 9:30.

Morning meeting was the usual, meetings for the day, arrivals, departures, who was doing what (interviews for the summer vollies was happening today!!), and of course, our job list.  But, because it was 'wicked wednesday', we got to finish the meeting off by playing games.  This was what made it 'wicked'.  First was Jen and Chloe's game of 'Big Booty' and then Ana's game called 'Racy Hands'.

After that we set about our jobs... there wasn't a lot on the list! I was on cleaning and re-setting Fizter in Spycher.  We had finished all our jobs by about 10:45 and effectively had the rest of the day off.  I had picked up a historical Guide and Scout book out of the locked bookshelf at morning meeting to read as a part of my staff challenge.  It was called 'Talks on Ambulance Work'.  I read this and watched tv until 11:40 when I went to make lunch.  Nikki had said I could make Bruschetta for lunch!

Once lunch was finished and clean up was done we were once again able to head back to Stockli and relax.  I read some more and then made a poster displaying  a current WAGGGS program.  Mine was of the Millennium Development Goals and the 'MDG Song'.  

At 4 pm I headed off to Reception and the others working headed off to cook dinner (Cottage Pie).  Reception as quiet so I was able to finish off my book.  I had achieved 2 points for making a poster and 3 for reading a book all in one day.  

 

Review of "Talks on Ambulance Work" By "Gilcraft":

Published in 1930, this is the second edition of "Talks on Ambulance Work" by "Gilcraft".  It was definitely an interesting read, if only to see how far in medical advances we have come.  Written specifically for the Boy Scouts, the language used is quite often quite patriarchal and demeaning to women, referring to women only when a disease or illness 'only' befalls them and not males as well.  

My favorite section however, is found in the 'Unconsciousness' section, and states as follows;

        "There is a form of fit, sometimes seen in women called hysteria.  The patient screams, laughs, and sobs alternately, and may throw herself down.  If she does, you will notice that she does not do so in such a way as to hurt herself, but falls into some convenient couch or chair.  She is not really unconscious and is hoping for your sympathy, but don't give her any.  Pay no attention at all, or else speak very firmly and unfeelingly. A little douche of cold water is very effective at times."
Page 88-89

I think this is a perfect display of how far we have come! 

Chloe at dinner with her massive plate of peas






No comments:

Post a Comment