"I want adventures in the great wide somewhere" Beauty and the Beast

Saturday 31 January 2015

an afternoon in thun


30/1/15

Thun, pronounced 'toon' (now the title makes sense hey), is located approximately 30 km south of Bern.  It lies where the River Aare flows out of Lake Thun and has about 44,000 inhabitants.  The town encompasses both banks and the island inbetween them, covering an area of approximately 22 km square.  

It take a little over an hour to get from the Chalet to Thun.  After having a lazy morning, I caught the 10:54 am bus to Frutigen and then a train from Frutigen to Thun.  I was there by 12:01 pm.




 Thun is a beautiful little town, I had borrowed a map off of Chloe so I set about following the train that that laid out. First it lead me over the bridge to the island in the centre of Thun, where I walked down the main shopping street.  The side walk is raised up above the road.  I'm not sure why there was confetti every where though!

  

  

    
I ate the Ginger Bread Mum bought me :)

"Schloss Thun" was built by the Dukes of Zahringen shortly before 1200.  The roof dates from the Bernese period of 1430.  The Great Hall of the castle is one of the best preserved and representations of Great Halls of the medieval period.  







Here's the veiw

 

After walking up and into the Castle I headed back down to the town centre.  Thun is the closest town with proper department stores.  So I enjoyed an afternoon of walking though the town shopping.  Mostly window shopping!  I finished the afternoon with a walk along the river and a hot chocolate before boarding the 3:01 pm train back to Adelboden.  


One of the reasons I was so keen to get home, was dinner.  Tonight we were having Cheese Fondue!  The dish is indigenous to parts of Switzerland.  We heated it and then dipped food into the cheese. 

 



After dinner, we had a training in the new WAGGGS Thinking Day Game.  By training I mean we played the game!


 
Our Piece 


No comments:

Post a Comment