"I want adventures in the great wide somewhere" Beauty and the Beast

Saturday 24 January 2015

night sledding


24/1/15

Today was my second day off.  My original plan was to go skiing again but after my full day yesterday I decided that I needed a day off and a break. 

So my lazy day: I didn't get up until 9:30 and I didn't shower or get dressed until just after 11.  Lunch was at 12:30 and then I came back to Stockli and chilled.   I watched some tv, read my book, made tea... a typical lazy day. 

At 4 pm Katrina and I got ready to head out. Tonight was the staff social night sledding on Tschenten and we had decided we would skip dinner and head up early to watch the sun set.  We left at 4.30 hiking down the hill into Oey to catch the gondola into town.  From town we caught another gondola up to the top of Tschenten.  It was quite foggy in town and I had hoped we would rise above it and have this spectacular veiw... unfortunately we didn't. Instead we just rose higher into fog.  So we didn't get to see the sunset; all we could see was the sun as a bright light in the distance.  


 
Apple Punch to keep us warm!

At 7 pm the other staff members Chloe,  Victoria, Mara, Jen, Tanya, Danielle, Rachael and Charlotte joined us at the top for night sledding. 

The ski people had lit up the three sledding runs down Tschenten.  It was still quite foggy when we first went down, which made it quite hard to see.   The lights ended up being just like obs or moons in the distant fog.  Charlotte likened the fog to the fog from Stephen King's book gone movie "The Mist".  When the chair lifts passed it was almost like a monster coming at you, you couldn't see them until they were basically next to you!

We got three runs in before the fog became so bad you couldn't see 20 m infront of you.  We waited at the top of the chair lift for everyone else and then headed back down and home to the Chalet.  Victoria and Chloe climbed onto the town fountain for a photo for their Staff Challenge for 'this season'!  Because they had done the 'normal' staff challenge before they have a special one, but it still has 'climb onto the town fountain to take a photo'.  Jen managed to do one of her challenges on her staff challenge today too - 'try nine different modes of transport in under 24hrs'.  I think she had walked, snowboarded, driven the van, rode in a car, ski-boked, sledded, gondola'd, chair lifted and one more which I can't remember!

  



Chloe's hair had frozen!


After putting away the sleds and skiboks, we all stripped off the layers and got into pjs.  Apparently it was -7 outside, no wonder we had all been so cold! Chloe made custard and Victoria made bread and butter pudding from some of the leftover gingerbread and the stale bread we had.  







No comments:

Post a Comment