"I want adventures in the great wide somewhere" Beauty and the Beast

Thursday 4 December 2014

harry potter day

 2/12/14

Today it’s raining. 

Surprise, surprise I mean it is London.  Though I wouldn’t really call it rain.  More like spittle.  Nothing like Australian rain!

Once I got up (loving the no jeg lag!!) I found my way to Kensal Green Underground Station, by following some random and hoping to high heaven that she was going where I wanted to go.  Turns out she was. From there I caught the train to Baker St, changed lines then onto Kings Cross.  And before you ask, Yes I travelled halfway across London to go to Platform 9 ¾.



When I Got to Kings Cross, I realized how massive it actually is and asked a dude where platform 9 ¾ was.  With a dead pan face, he replied “Oh, They destroyed it.”  Then a second later, “haha I’m only joking it’s down there to your right.” 

It was awesome – Just like reading the books for the first time.  I’m sure all the locals laugh at the tourists for doing it and taking photos but I really didn’t care.  It was like I was actually going to Hogwarts!  So worth the one hr trip it took me to get there!!

After I had visited the Platform 9 ¾ shop as well and bought an official ticket to Hogwarts and a key ring, I caught the Green Line of the Big Bus Tours to Harrods. 





When they say that store is massive they aren’t joking -  and expensive.  I wandered around the ground floor before finding a map and figuring out that the Christmas stuff was on the 2nd floor and toys (Harry Potter stuff) was on the 3rd floor. I headed up to the Christmas gear first and still had to ask for directions to where that was once on the right floor.  It was like everything had its own little pocket hidey-hole.  I bought some Christmas decorations then went up to look at the Harry Potter stuff.  I cried at the things they had and the prices and then decided not to torture myself aymore and left.

I then caught the train from Knightsbridge Underground to Charing Cross, where Trafalgar Square is.  I have to admit, Trafalgar Square was heaps smaller than I expected it to be.  I wandered around there before heading to the Original London Tourist Centre, where I was being picked up for Harry Potter Studio Tour.


Harry Potter Studio Tour is in the middle of no where.  We left at about 2pm and didn’t arrive until about 3.  The guy got our tickets and told us to be back by 6.45pm. 
The first thing you see as you walk in is the massive Christmas tree, oh and the mounds of people.  This photo has no people in it because I took it as I was leaving. 



There is no way to describe the tour though.  Well worth the money and time.  It shows a whole different side to the films and the amount of work which goes into them.  It was just incredible.  And the fact that these were the actually objects that the cast members actually used!! Eekk!!
You enter a cinema first and watch a introduction by Emma, Daniel and Rupert explaining about the Studio and their time there.  Then the screen lifts and in front of you are the doors to the Great Hall.  They open and you are in the Great Hall during the Christmas Feast – It was Hogwarts in the Snow.





After  the Great Hall you proceed into the first area, which is all the indoor sets and props.  This is the largest area and has heaps and heaps of stuff packed into it.  I properly read about 10% of everything, but took photos of all the signs to read later.  In this section is also the Green Screen Experiences – where you can fly a broom or make magic with a wand. 

Once you have finished in this section you move outside to the larger outdoor sets.  Here is the Hogwarts Bridge, the Knight Bus, 4 Privet Drive, the Potter’s Cottage, multiple chess pieces, the Weasely’s Flying Ford Falcon and Hagrid’s Motorbike.  All of which you can touch and climb in or on. Here you can also try the Butterbeer and they show you how they create the effects of snow!




Then you move onto the second indoor section.  First is the animatronics area, which shows how they made all the animals and creatures in Harry Potter.  Things such as the Monster Book of Monsters, Aragog, Dobby, the doubles of main charaters and my favourite, Buckbeak. 
Man move when you walk past or when you activate them!

Next is the concept art and artists area.  Here is all the original drawings of sets and props before they were made.  It also includes things such as the Marauder’s Map, Potion’s Labels and magical books. 

As you round the corner out of the art area, you are faced with the huge scale model of Hogwarts.  It was massive – bigger than I expected.  And covered in snow for Christmas!!




Lastly is the wand shop.  Every wand used to fill Ollivander’s is here, all hand drawn and boxed.  About 80% have names on them and the idea is to try and find your own name.  I tried and failed epically. 

Then there’s the shop.  Again I cried at the items and the prices and the fact I don’t have enough room in my suitcase.  I bought a key ring and a Christmas ornament, which was so much less than I could have spent!!

We left at 7 (due to a couple being late back to the bus! It wasn’t me!!) and got to Victoria St at about 8ish.  I was knackered.  I then caught the 52 bus back to Kensal Rise – trying not to fall asleep the whole time and then walked home!


No comments:

Post a Comment