"I want adventures in the great wide somewhere" Beauty and the Beast

Monday 1 December 2014

day one

This day never ends...

I left home, on the 30th of November at 2.45, I got to the airport and was checked in at 3ish and then was in the boarding lounge by 3.45 (ish).  Of course I had forgotten to eat all day and was hungry, so I had Eagle Boys 1 piece of chicken and fries (which I highly recommend!).  

We eventually boarded and I was seated between two lovely ladies who made the flight slightly less horrible than it otherwise would have been.  However I think the wine I had may have also had something to do with that.  



We were delayed at landing at Dubai, of course, and we landed about 1.15 am Dubai time.  I then had to find my gate, which wasn't printed on the ticket - yay for big screen tvs, and then head to Gate B22 for boarding at 1.45.  All I wanted was a bathroom and a real coffee, but when I arrived at my Gate they were already boarding.  

We were delayed again landing in Gatwick as the plane just flew too slow.  I assume there were head winds or something... Anyways we landed and I managed not to get lost, find my luggage, buy a Gatwick Express ticket to Victoria Station and get on the train with no major hick-ups.  

Gatwick Express Train Station

The train was delayed by ten mins due to a fault with the doors not working.  Ha to all of you who told me all trains over here run on time!  Also when they tell you to stand back from the edge of the platform because a train is passing which is not stopping at the station - do it.  Those trains don't slow down for nothing.  I have to admit I much prefer Perth trains, much more room and more than a single door at the end of each carriage.  I was impressed that they actually blew whistles as the train left.  

My first thoughts on London - 
It wasnt that cold
There was lots of 'fog'/clouds - but it wasn't raining yet! (And it didnt for the rest of the day!)
I'm never going to get over their accents,

When I got to Victoria Station (in the middle of peak hour) I met up with my friend who I am staying with, and she gave me all the bits and pieces I needed to get into hers and around the city.  I was starting to feel the cold now - I still only had my cardigan on.  She went off to work and I waited for the 52 Bus to take me to Kensal Green.  And of course it was the most packed bus.  

I ditched all my gear and headed out to explore.  I had booked a Big Bus Tour, with the thoughts that I could just sit and listen and see everything at the same time.  So I made my way to the first stop at Green Park via the Aboveground and the Underground services,  Then I caught the bus  all around and saw the general sights.



I was on the red line

I was highly impressed with Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.  Trafalgar square was much smaller than I expected it to be and (don't hate me) but Buckingham Palace was not nearly as exciting as it is built up to be.  I was overall impressed and excited to see London - I also began to get my bearings.  I can't wait to go to the Tower of London on Wednesday.  



At 1ish I got of the Big Bus and walked to Buckingham Palace to have a photo and a look.  The statue of Queen Elizabeth was really impressive but I was disappointed there were no red dudes in the big black hats... just Police men with big guns walking around.  




After Buckingham Palace I got very confused and must have looked very mad as I talked to myself trying to decide what was the best way to get to Pax Lodge, The WAGGGS World Centre in London.  I eventually decided and attacked the Underground once more.  This time it ended well but stressed me out.  Halfway through I thought I was on the wrong train so I got off and got on the train to go back the other way... or so I thought.  Instead i changed lines.  It was good news though, becuase in the next ten mins I figured out where I was and which line I was supposed to be on.... the one i was already on!



Pax Lodge was awesome.  It was alive with activity - there was a Free Being Me Camp happening at the same time so there was lots of different people there.  I enjoyed my private tour (I was the only one booked to do the tour at that time) and I bought my exclusive Pax Lodge Pin.  I swapped some badges with the 'take one, leave one' box and pinned a badge on the world badge board.  I also met with another Guide from Australia who I had previously messaged on Facebook but never met in real life and I met for the first time one of the permanent staff of Our Chalet.  


On my way home I stopped by a grocery store to get some food and coffee.  It is actually cold enough to walk around with hot coffee and not looks silly like you do in Australia! Plus it keeps your hands warm.  
I also saw these red Telephone boxes underneath a lit up tree!

Now I am sitting on my bed... Both my friend and I are amazed I have been able to stay awake this long... I assume its the one perk of shift work!



No comments:

Post a Comment